Did you know that a simple data breach could cost your business millions?
The last two years have been marred by a 47% increase in incidents, including accidental data loss and deliberate data exfiltration by negligent or disgruntled employees or contractors. With the rapid growth of technology and increasing amounts of data being generated, data loss prevention (DLP) tools and processes are essential for safeguarding sensitive data from unauthorized access, theft, or accidental loss.
In this article, we will explore why DLP should be a top priority for any business and provide valuable insights into the latest trends and statistics on data breaches.
What are Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Tools?
DLP tools are crucial for modern cybersecurity. The software prevents data breaches and safeguards sensitive information.
There are four types of DLP solutions: Email, Endpoint Management, Network, and Cloud. Within these types, there are three main categories:
- Network DLP – Monitors and protects all data in use, in motion, or at rest on the company’s network, including the cloud.
- Endpoint DLP – Monitors all endpoints, including servers, computers, laptops, and mobile phones, to prevent data leakage or misuse.
- Cloud DLP – Specifically designed to protect organizations using cloud repositories for data storage.
These DLP solutions help businesses classify and protect confidential information, safeguard against insider threats, and comply with data privacy laws.
Benefits of Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Tools
The benefits of DLP tools enable them to:
- Prevent data breaches and theft
- Help with regulatory compliance
- Reduce insider threats
- Help comply with security policies that keep websites secure
- Enhance overall security posture
- Improve data management and risk mitigation strategies
- Increase efficiency of incident response and investigation
- Enable secure collaboration with third-party vendors
- Support remote work and cloud adoption
Key Features of DLP Tools
These key features are found throughout the various categories of DLP tools:
- Automatic discovery, inventory, and classification of sensitive data
- Analysis of data in any state, location, or application
- Different types of analysis to accurately detect problems
- Multiple ways to respond to policy violations
- Cloud monitoring
- Privacy compliance
- Data labeling
- Machine learning capabilities
Top 9 Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Tools
Choosing the right DLP for your organization can be challenging, so we’ve narrowed it down to nine of the best solutions on the market today:
1. Digital Guardian
- SaaS-based DLP solution that offers automated data discovery and classification capabilities for both known and unknown data types
- Granular policies that allow for the protection of sensitive data and restriction of its movement
- Integration with several major technology vendors through APIs
Best for: Large enterprises and organizations with complex IT environments and distributed workforces
Price: Contact the company directly for a quote.
Review: “I appreciate the number of features that Digital Guardian has to offer and its detailed reporting capabilities.”
While CybeReady isn’t a DLP Tool per se, we offer complete security awareness training for your employees. With CybeReady, teams can embrace learning success with easy and effective programs, including security awareness and phishing simulation programs, audit and compliance tools, and an elastic security program. Creating employee awareness of data loss prevention will greatly reduce data breaches and errors that lead to data loss.
- Provides a complete, fully-managed training program that transforms security culture.
- Programs include a security awareness program, phishing simulations program, audit/compliance tool, and elastic security program.
- Guarantees measurable success and removes the effort of developing phishing simulations with a fully automated program
Best for: Organizations of all sizes looking to develop a security-aware culture across all levels of the organization.
Price: Contact the company for a quote or to schedule a free demo.
Review: “Excellent training tool!! For me it’s the simplicity of the tool that makes it so user friendly and effective.”
- Automates critical IT work in a multi-SaaS environment, enabling IT teams to eliminate most SaaS management work
- Streamlines and automates user lifecycle processes and day-to-day operations, increasing operational efficiency and employee productivity
- Market leader in SaaS Operations Management with over ten years of experience
Best for: Organizations that use multiple SaaS applications and need to manage them efficiently and automate critical processes
Price: On request
Review: “My favorite part about BetterCloud is the consistency. By automating some of our everyday tasks, we are getting time savings…”
4. Endpoint Protector By CoSoSys
- Precise and granular control over device access enables administrators to manage the access of employees and guests to sensitive data. It also provides the facility to to grant temporary access remotely
- Content-Aware Data Loss Prevention that performs content inspections and contextual scanning of data for applications such as Skype, Outlook, etc., and removable devices
- Enforced encryption features that can encrypt, manage, and secure USB storage devices
Best for: Any organization that needs to protect sensitive data and prevent data loss from endpoints
Price: Contact for a quote
Review: “We chose to use Endpoint Protector as a support tool for our Linux environment. It’s easy to use, manage, install, and update.”
5. Forcepoint DLP
- Performs various types of analyses, including optical character recognition capabilities
- Utilizes a single analysis engine for all DLP tasks, ensuring consistency across the system
- Provides policy templates for significant security and privacy regulations worldwide, facilitating regulatory compliance
Best for: Organizations of all sizes and industries that require a comprehensive data loss prevention solution
Price: Quote available by request.
Review: “Forcepoint DLP provides complete protection for critical data on endpoints, email, and cloud applications.”
6. Broadcom Symantec DLP
- Consolidates all DLP components into one console for monitoring and management
- Utilizes a unified policy mechanism for detection and enforcement capabilities
- Provides various enforcement options, such as integration with Microsoft Information Protection
Best for: Organizations looking for a comprehensive approach to managing and enforcing data loss prevention policies.
Price: Contact the company directly for a quote.
Review: “I like Symantec data loss prevention. It will provide total security for our organization’s sensitive data.”
7. Solarwinds DLP
- Deep visibility into server performance issues and applications allows users to pinpoint complex issues’ root causes for faster troubleshooting
- Easy to install and scale to meet your infrastructure’s growing demands, while the out-of-the-box monitoring templates and easy customization options enable you to monitor virtually any commercial or homegrown application
- Seamlessly integrates with other SolarWinds IT management tools
Best for: Organizations of various sizes and industries that need systems management software to monitor their application and server performance.
Price: By inquiry
Review: “We have been using SolarWinds for quite a long time.. SolarWinds has great UI to monitor the applications & Servers.”
- Provides multiple data protection methods, including safeguarding sensitive data on USB drives and other storage media
- Monitors user activities such as screen captures and data printing to ensure data security
- Offers strong and versatile data classification options to meet various compliance requirements and safeguard sensitive data
Best for: Large to medium organizations that prioritize data security and need a flexible and comprehensive solution
Price: Contact for a quote
Review: “It works as a safeguard to our data and company’s information. It has automated reporting for each & every day…”
9. Check Point
- Complete visibility and control over sensitive data.
- Real-time incident mitigation and tracking of all DLP events
- Scans and secures SSL/TLS encrypted traffic passing through a gateway.
Best for: Small, medium, and enterprise-sized businesses, service providers, and individual consumers
Price: On request
Review: “User-Friendly Product and Easy to Use, If we are unknown to know any points, SK articles are very helpful and documentation is very good.”
Start Your DLP Campaign by Changing Your Security Culture
DLP is crucial for modern cybersecurity, protecting against breaches and theft. But while DLP solutions offer one method of managing data loss threats, no solution is reliable one hundred percent of the time.
CybeReady’s security awareness training platform can help your organization combine your existing solutions with a culture of cybersecurity awareness, bringing employees at all levels of the organization into the loop and allowing everyone to contribute to your overall security.
Transform your security culture and improve your data loss prevention efforts today by requesting a demo and discovering how CybeReady can help keep your organization secure.